If you read our blog frequently, you probably had an idea that our version of a BLT was likely to vary from the traditional acronym, and you also probably already guessed that the most likely letter of said acronym to be amended was the B. If so, your idea and guess is right. Who needs bacon when you have beets?!?
We served these with Roasted Asparagus, but it would also pair very nicely with Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus, Homemade Pickles, or some of our fries recipes like Celery Root French Fries, Turnip Wedge Fries, Garlic Dill Potato and Broccoli Stalk Wedges, Baked Sweet Potato Fries, or Roasted Yellow Bean “French Fries.”
Time: 45 Minutes (unless using pre-cooked beets…then you can do this in about 15-20 minutes)
Ingredients: (Makes 2 sandwiches)
- 1 Large Beet
- 4 Tablespoons of All Purpose Flour
- Optional Beet Seasonings:
- I had a scoop of pickled horseradish in mine
- My wife had a sprinkle of Salt and Pepper in hers
- Mayonnaise (or other sandwich topper you prefer)
- Optional: Cheese. We used Emmentaler
- Sandwich Bread
- Boil your beet until it’s very soft. Then, remove it from the boiling water, and place it in cold water or ice.
- When the beet is no longer hot to the touch, use your thumbs to peel the skin. It should come off pretty easily.
- Puree your beet in a food processor/Ninja/blender.
- Combine your puree in a bowl with your flour and optional beet seasonings. If making different flavoured patties, just divvy up the ingredients into two different bowls like we did…2 tablespoons of flour and half the beet puree into each. Just be sure to keep track of which is which!
- Heat a cast iron pan with some oil in it, and when the oil is hot, form your patties, and carefully place into the pan.
- Let your beets cook for about 5 minutes.
- While the beets cook, wash and cut your lettuce and tomatoes, and set aside.
- After 5 minutes, flip your beets, and add cheese on top. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- While your beets are finishing, toast your bread.
- When the beets are done, assemble everything, and add your preferred sauce.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!