Our amazing neighbors (of Golden Squash fame) also gave us a set of gigantic cucumbers! So, why not use one to make pickles for any of our various burger recipes? Anyway, I love pickles because of the versatility they bring. You can make them sweet, spicy, strong, weak, and anything in between! The batch in the pictures is Garlic Chipotle pickles, but swap out vinegars, seasonings, and other veggie additions, and play around! Below is the basic recipe I use, and it’s ripe for customizing!
Time: 30 Minutes
- Vinegar (about 1/3 the amount of water). We used Apple Cider Vinegar.
- A little Salt
- A little Sugar
- Seasonings to taste. We used Garlic Powder and Chipotle Chili Powder.
- Cut your cucumbers into spears or slices, and place them into a large zip top bag
- Combine your salt, sugar, water, and vinegar in a measuring cup or bowl, and stir to dissolve.
- Pour your liquid over your cucumbers, and mix in your seasonings.
- Make sure the cucumbers are completely covered by the water, and let them sit for about 25-30 minutes. If you have the patience for it, hold off on eating, and stash them in the fridge for a day or two (still covered by the water), and enjoy a fuller flavour later!