With Taco Tuesday and the 2020 NFL Draft both right around the corner, we thought it was the perfect time to unveil our newest taco creation. This one combines one of the two iconic sandwiches of Philadelphia, the Philly Cheesesteak (the other sandwich being a Roasted Pork, Broccoli Rabe, and Provolone concoction).
Cheesesteaks have a special place in my heart because Mom and I once took a road trip together (2 hrs in the car in each direction) just to go get one after she did some research on its origins. Of course, we went to Pat’s King of Steaks, as all of her work told her that they were the true inventors of this amazing fare. I’ll never forget her coaching me on how to order properly on the drive to Philly. As she told me about how you’re supposed to say, “Cheese Wit” if you want a cheesesteak with onions, I had fears that I was about to encounter the sandwich equivalent of Seinfeld’s “Soup Nazi.” Luckily, ordering wasn’t as intense as I’d feared. That was a great day.
Time: 25 Minutes
- Beef or Venison Steak Sandwich Meat (Very thinly sliced). We used venison for our tacos.
- Optional Vegetables
- Green Bell or Poblano Pepper
- Flour Tortillas
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Other toppings of your choice. We used shredded field greens and diced tomatoes.
- Slice your choice of optional vegetables (we used poblano and onion), and sautee them in a little butter.
- As your veggies cook, heat your oven to 350 degrees F, and place some tortillas on a baking sheet. Spread your shredded cheese atop, and place in the oven.
- When your veggies begin to caramelize, add your steak sandwich meat.
- Shred your lettuce, and dice your tomato as everything cooks.
- When your meat is done, remove your tortillas from the oven (cheese should be melted, and the tortillas should be a little crispy), and put on your plates.
- Top with your meat and veggies
- Finish everything with your lettuce and tomatoes.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!