I’d say that pretty much every time I have the option to swap out French fries for Sweet Potato Fries at a restaurant, I take it. Sweet Potatoes just have such great depth of flavour and quite a few more nutrients than you find in Russets. However, those are still generally deep fried, which I reckon diminishes the health benefits of the main ingredient. Fear not though! There is another way! If you slice them right, add a little oil, and use an oven that’s hot enough, you can get nice crispy sweet potato fries without deep frying! Or if you prefer a different shape and texture, give our Sweet Potato Wedge Fries a try!
Time: 50 Minutes
- Sweet Potatoes. I prefer the longer thinner sweet potatoes since they’re easier to work with and cook evenly.
- Any seasonings you like. A few good combinations we’ve found are:
- Salt and Pepper
- Cinnamon and Chipotle Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder
- Preheat your oven to 415 degrees F, line a large baking sheet with foil, and give the foil a good spray with some oil.
- Wash your sweet potatoes, and cut the ends off. Then carefully cut the sweet potatoes in half long ways.
- Slice your “half moon” sweet potato pieces thinly (I went with about 1/8 of an inch or roughly 3mm…your thickness will affect cooking times, so be watchful as they cook).
- Place your half moons on your baking sheet, give them a quick oil spray, and apply your seasonings…Then toss the baking sheet into the oven for 35-40 minutes depending on the thickness of your slices and your desired level of doneness.
- When you think they’re done, taste one to confirm…and then if you were right, remove from the oven.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!