After we made our Garlic Dill Potato and Broccoli Stalk Wedges, I wanted to try making something similar but with turnip to replace the potato to give a lower carb side dish. Instead of roasting, we pan fried our turnip wedges in a cast iron pan, and they came out better than anticipated. They got a nice golden brown on each side, and they maintained their turnipy flavoured goodness.
We served these with our Sauerkraut Burgers. However, they’d also go well with any type of Burger or sandwich that typically pairs with fries. Heck, these would even be a great accompaniment for a Grilled NY Strip Steak or Fish n’ Chips.
Time: 25 Minutes
- Wash your turnips, and cut the very tops and bottoms off.
- Put your turnip with the now flat large side down, and cut in half.
- Place each half with the inside facing down, and carefully cut into wedges.
- Heat some oil in a heavy bottomed pan, and when it’s hot, add your turnip wedges.
- Give your turnip a quick salt sprinkle, and allow to cook for about 7-8 minutes until golden brown.
- Flip, and cook for another 7-8 minutes.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!