It’s Rhubarb Season again, which can only mean one thing: Our Savory Rhubarb Crusade hiatus is over! For this particular recipe, we decided to borrow from three past ones we’ve made (one not involving Rhubarb): Chipotle Rhubarb Tacos, Rhubarbeque, and Jackfruit Sloppy Joes. The result was a sweet/tangy/spicy chicken sloppy joe taco, and there were no leftovers at the end of dinner. We hope you enjoy!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Ground meat of your choice. We used Turkey. Diced Jackfruit will also work.
- Red Pepper
- For your Sauce:
- Equal parts water and ketchup
- Brown Sugar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Cayenne Powder
- Ground Cinnamon
- Any other toppings you like…we went with baby spinach and kale.
- Mix your sauce ingredients in a saucepan (it will be watery) and bring to a simmer. The brown sugar will cause significant thickening as it cooks.
- Dice your onions, red peppers, and rhubarb.
- Add a little oil to a large pan, and add in your onions, peppers, and rhubarb. Sautee until the onions turn opaque, and the rhubarb starts to “dissolve.”
- Add your ground meat to your veggies, and cook until browned.
- Pour in your sauce, and allow to finish thickening and coating your meat and veggies.
- Scoop onto a bun or tortilla shells, devour, and enjoy!