As part of our mission to make Rhubarb a more mainstream ingredient and help it break out of its dessert use confines, we’ve had some fun with Savory Rhubarb Recipes. In this edition, we made BBQ sauce that’s a little spicy, a little sweet, and a lot rhubarby! We served this over Crispy Tofu Wedge Steaks, but it would go well with grilled, fried, or baked chicken or pork too!
Also, keep checking back…My wife’s grandfather stalked us again today, and we are more stocked than ever as a result. We’re absolutely determined to use the rhubarb bounty a new way every time we cook with it!
Time: 40 Minutes
- For the Sauce:
- Fresh Rhubarb Stalks
- Ketchup or Tomato Paste (or fresh tomatoes if you’ve got more time on your hands)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Protein of your choice. This goes very well with pork, chicken, and even tofu.
- Start making your sauce:
- Wash and slice your Rhubarb stalks, and put them in a pot with some water.
- Boil until they dissipate, and the water cooks mostly down.
- Add in your Ketchup or Tomato Paste (you don’t need too much…just enough to build a nice red colour but not so much as to overpower the sauce), Apple Cider Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, and Cayenne, and stir to combine.
- Let everything simmer (tasting occasionally and adding more of whatever you need).
- Turn your attention to your protein. We suggest thinly slicing and pan frying in cast iron…we used Tofu.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!