It’s always a good day when you find one of these brilliant orange mushrooms in the woods. Then, shortly after the harvest and the joy of the successful forage fade into extremely recent memory, it’s time to turn attention to how to cook it! We tend to gravitate towards Asian preparations for our Chicken of the Woods mushrooms…let’s face it, you’re already starting at “Orange Chicken,” based on the ingredient. However, we also like variety in our cuisine (if you weren’t already well aware of that), so we wanted to challenge ourselves with a completely different flavour profile than we’ve already used in past Chicken of the Woods recipes.
So, we took a little metaphorical culinary journey to Mexico and opted to make Burritos! That decision all squared away, we had other choices to make…and we decided to go with a veggie overload (including cauliflower rice), which turned out to be a good choice. While we’re posting the spicier version of these burritos, not everyone in our house is a big fan of the smokiness of chipotle chiles, so we actually wound up cooking this in two separate pans…one had chipotle chilies in it, and the other used BBQ sauce instead…so feel free to customize as you see fit!
Time: 35 Minutes
- Chicken of the Woods Mushroom
- Cauliflower Rice (We grated our own with our food processor)
- Black Beans
- Ground Cumin
- Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce
- Leafy Greens. We used baby kale, but baby spinach or shredded lettuce would work well too)
- Burrito Tortilla
- Shredded Cheddar
- Dice your onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Heat some oil in a large pan, and add your diced veggies along with some ground cumin and dried cilantro. Sautee until your tomatoes begin to lose their shape, and your onions soften and turn opaque.
- Cut your cauliflower into florets, and shred using the fine shredding plate of your food processor or a box grater…or use pre-riced cauliflower. Then, add to your cauliflower to the pan, and stir to combine, and keep cooking.
- Drain and rinse your black beans, and add them to your pan.
- As your cauliflower cooks, rinse, and dice your Chicken of the Woods mushroom. Then, add it to your pan as well. Cook (stirring occasionally) for around 10 minutes to soften your mushroom and cauliflower.
- Finish off your filling by dicing half an avocado and a few chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, and adding to your pan along with some shredded cheese. Stir to combine, and cook to melt the cheese.
- As your filling finishes, heat up your tortilla(s) in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to make them pliable. Then, top them with baby kale, sliced tomato, and sliced avocado.
- Scoop copious amounts of your veggie and mushroom filling atop your tortilla(s), and wrap everything up!
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!