Monday was the night of Savory Pies! We made a trifecta to bring and share with family. We made a BBQ Pie, a Chicken Marsala Pie, and this strongly flavored hearty pie too. Given how different each person’s tastes are, I wanted to make sure everyone had a pie that would speak directly to them, and I’m happy to report that the pies were a big hit in aggregate!
For this particular pie, we decided to base it on ground beef…and then we decided we probably shouldn’t call it “Cow Pie,” even though that moniker made us chuckle. Anyway, we mixed our ground beef with Sauerkraut, Cauliflower, Caraway Seeds, Carrots, and Shredded Emmentaler to really round out the nutritional profile as well as to build a flavour profile of coherent deliciousness. Lastly, to ensure proper texture, we made a bit of a Roux so everything would stick together when we cut into the pie! If you’re looking for something to warm your soul on a nice cold day, this is a great choice!
Time: 70 Minutes
- Pie Crust (Store Bought or Make Your Own)
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 1/2 Onion
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic
- 8-10 oz Sauerkraut
- Shredded Carrots
- 1/2 Head of Cauliflower
- Some Caraway Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Beef Stock
- Gruyere or Emmentaler Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and arrange your pie crust in a pie pan.
- Peel and dice your onion and garlic. Then, melt your butter in a large pan, and add your onion/garlic and some caraway seeds. Sautee until the onions turn opaque.
- As your onions and garlic cook, rice your cauliflower with the fine shredding attachment of your food processor or a box grater (if you want an arm workout).
- Add your beef, carrots, and cauliflower to the pan, and allow the meat to brown. Break it up into small bits as it cooks.
- As your meat cooks, grate or shred your cheese.
- Once your beef has browned, add in your Sauerkraut, and stir to combine. Continue to cook until all of your veggies have softened.
- Add and stir in your flour to coat your ingredients. Let sit for a minute or two, and then add your beef stock, and stir to combine.
- Add your cheese, and stir to fully incorporate as it melts.
- Pour your mixture into your pie crust, and then place everything in the oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Remove your pie from the oven, and allow to cool slightly to set.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!