Since we found a store that sells it, and we’ve conquered our fear of Working with Fresh Jackfruit, we now buy our it fresh, and thus in large quantities. As a logical consequent, we’ve been playing with more and more Jackfruit Recipes! And, we are excited for this addition as a mainstay of our diet. Jackfruit is quite frankly awesome. It is low calorie, and it’s extremely versatile. The tendrils approximate the texture of pulled pork, and they take on the flavour of whatever seasonings you add…and the fruit pods are sweet and tender.
For this particular dish, we decided to use the tendrils and the fruit pods to get max benefit of the textures and flavours of our jackfruit. And with the natural sweetness of the fruit pods, we decided to go with a BBQ flavour profile, as we reckoned the brown sugar and the vinegar would go really well with the fruit. We then added in some heat and classic burrito flavours with seasonings and sautéed diced onions, garlic, and peppers. After that, we added some black beans for body, and some mashed avocado and Homemade Coleslaw (with yogurt based Ranch Dressing instead of Blue Cheese) for a bit of textural dichotomy. Lastly, we wrapped up our little bundles of goodness and enjoyed a gloriously complex, yet simple meal!
Time: 40 Minutes
- Burrito Tortillas
- Poblano Pepper (jalapeno if you want additional heat)
- Jackfruit (Fresh or Prepackaged)
- Black Beans
- Hot Paprika
- BBQ Sauce
- Coleslaw (Classic or Funky…but try using Ranch Dressing instead of Blue Cheese)
- Shredded Cheddar or Taco Blend Cheese
- If using fresh jackfruit, begin by Breaking it Down to its delicious usable parts! If using prepackaged jackfruit, skip this step…it’s already done for you.
- Dice your onion, garlic, and pepper. Then, heat some oil in a pan, and add these veggies. Cook until your peppers start to soften a bit, and your onion turns opaque.
- Add your jackfruit (boiled tendrils and sliced fruit pods) to the pan, and stir them in. Continue to sautee. Sprinkle in some hot paprika, and stir to combine.
- As your jackfruit cooks, open your can of black beans, and then drain and rinse. When your jackfruit fruit pods have softened, add in your beans, and mix well.
- Pour in your BBQ Sauce, and stir to combine. Then, bring everything to a low simmer to allow the flavours to really meld together.
- As your filling finishes, turn your attention to building your burritos.
- Slice your avocado, and then use a fork to mash it into an unadorned guacamole.
- Dice your tomato
- Get your coleslaw ready
- Scoop your jackfruit filling onto your burrito tortillas. Then, add your cheese, and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds (to melt the cheese and make the tortilla pliable for wrapping).
- Top your jackfruit filling off with your tomatoes, mashed avocado, and coleslaw.
- Wrap, devour, and enjoy!