There’s an easy, quick side dish that goes well with any BBQ meal, burger, or even as a crunchy taco topping, and it also adds a lot of colour and nutrition to your plate! In essence, coleslaw is a cabbage salad usually served in a creamy, mayonnaise based dressing. We’ve made it with green cabbage, red cabbage, napa cabbage, and savoy cabbage, and all work well in different ways. For this iteration, we’re using green cabbage and carrots.
If you’re using a bag of shredded cabbage but aren’t using it all, try saving the rest for Moo Shu!
Time: 10 Minutes (a little longer if you are shredding your cabbage and carrots yourself)
- Shredded Cabbage (either pre-shredded or shred yourself)
- Shredded Carrots (either pre-shredded or shred yourself)
- Vinegar (we used Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Seasonings. We used black pepper and a little onion powder.
- Pour your shredded cabbage and carrots into a large bowl, and stir to combine.
- Add in a little bit of mayonnaise and vinegar. You won’t need much to coat nicely, so start small…you can always add more, but you can’t extract it if you add too much at first.
- Add your seasonings, and fold everything to combine, adding more mayo and/or vinegar as you go to attain your desired creaminess and tartness. If it’s a tad too tart, add a bit of sugar to counterbalance.
- Serve right away, or stash in the fridge (covered) for an hour or so until you’re ready to use it.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!