Here’s an easy, nutritious (well, depending on your choice of toppings), and highly customizable meal. When I say easy, I mean, it’ll take 15 minutes, and there are only 4 steps. My roommate from grad school introduced me to the critical step in making amazing nachos…it was so simple and yet so profound. He would even make these with two layers…that’s right…nachos, toppings, cheese, then MORE nachos, MORE toppings, and MORE cheese on top of that! Gadzooks! Anyway, whenever I make these, it takes me back to the time we spent in that little apartment in West Philadelphia watching football.
Update: We’ve since remade a dish of the same name and general idea but with totally different flavours. Check out our Enchilada Nachos (Version 2)!
Time: 15 Minutes
- Tortilla Chips
- A can of refried beans
- Enchilada Sauce (or Salsa)
- Meltable Cheese (we’re using shredded cheddar)
- Veggie Toppings (mix and match from the below…or add something else to the list)
- Jalapeno (pickled or fresh)
- Black Olives
- Shredded lettuce
- Optional: Fresh Cilantro (although, I don’t use this ingredient too much since it only seems to be sold in huge bunches, and I can’t use the bunch quickly enough before it goes bad).
- Pour your can of beans and some enchilada sauce or salsa into a large bowl, and stir to combine. Don’t forget the sauce or salsa, or you will have a really disastrous result from a texture and taste standpoint (trust me on this).
- Cut up all of your vegetables. We sauteed our onions and jalapenos before assembly to tone them down a tad, but that is optional.
- Place a layer of nachos on your plate, and then scoop your bean mix atop before applying the rest of your toppings and cheese.
- Heat in the microwave until your cheese is melted, and your toppings are hot.
- Your plating is already done, so skip ahead to “Devour and Enjoy!”
I haven’t had breakfast so this makes me really hungry!!
Oh my these sound amazing!