We had some leftover ribs from my father-in-law’s Root Beer Ribs birthday dinner, so we decided to use the surplus cooked meat to build a Savory Pie! This particular pie is extremely customizable because you get to pick your favourite BBQ sides to add in as filling! You can also make it vegetarian and go with baked beans in lieu of the ribs if you prefer. We’ve suggested a host of excellent filling ingredients in the ingredients along with an asterisk to denote the ones we used.
We did not serve this with any sides because it already had oodles of vegetables in it…but this would go really well with a side salad if you want something else on your plate.
**As a side note, the avocado in our pie made really came through as it cooked. I loved it, but my wife isn’t quite as big of an avocado fan and thought it was a bit much…so be careful! There, you’ve been warned.
Time: 60 Minutes (assuming you have leftover pork ribs and don’t have to make them too)
- Pie Crust. You can use frozen, or try making your own Short Crust Pie Dough
- Leftover Pork Ribs. If you haven’t got those handy, this will work with any pulled/shredded meat.
- BBQ Sauce
- Cheese of your choice. We used shredded Cheddar
- One egg for each pie you’re making
- Optional Veggie Fillings (asterisks denote ones we used):
- Avocado* (Peeled and Mashed)
- Baked Beans
- Cabbage* (Shredded and Sauteed) or Coleslaw
- Jalapenos* (Sauteed)
- Mushrooms (Sliced and Sauteed)
- Okra (Pan Fried)
- Onions* (Diced and Sauteed)
- Red Peppers (Raw or Roasted)
- Tomato (Sliced or Diced)
- Ready your pie crust! Either start making dough or begin to thaw your premade pie crust.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prep your optional fillings and cook all of the ones that need to be sauteed together.
- Heat your already cooked ribs in the microwave, and pull the meat off the bone. Then, shred the meat with two forks.
- When your veggies have cooked down and softened, turn off the heat, and add your meat and your raw veggie components (in our case, mashed avocado). Add some BBQ sauce, and stir everything to combine.
- Crack and stir in your egg(s) to help bind everything together in the oven.
- Scoop your filling into your pie crust(s), and top with cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!