As you may know by now, I am a big fan of Hay. It’s great. It smells great, and it boils into a fantastic stock, which can be used for soups, risotto, sauces…nearly endless possibilities! Well, knowing my proclivities, my wife came home with a block of cheese that said “Hay” on it, which delighted me greatly. It turns out that it was a truffled gouda, and so we decided we ought to feature it in a dish (how could we not?). A short while later, we were dining on this veggie infused, hearty Macaroni and Cheese!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Small Shell Noodles (we went multicolor)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- Truffled Gouda
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for your pasta. As it heats, turn your attention to the rest of your ingredients.
- Chop your cauliflower, and steam it until soft (about 4-5 minutes). Then, drain excess water.
- As your cauliflower steams, dice your onion, and slice your mushroom.
- Shred your cheese with a box grater or the fine shredding plate of your food processor.
- Pour your pasta into your boiling water to cook.
- Melt your butter in a large pot. Then, add your onions, and cook until they turn opaque.
- Add in your mushrooms, peas, and steamed cauliflower.
- When your veggies are all hot, and your mushrooms have softened, add and stir in your flour to coat.
- Add a good handful of spinach, and stir to combine and get the wilting process started.
- Pour in your milk while stirring so your sauce thickens. Then, add your cheese, and allow it to begin to melt.
- When your pasta is ready, drain it, and add it to your veggies and cheese sauce. Stir to coat.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!