We love Beets! Because of that, we’ve explored a lot of different ways to cook them. We’ve roasted them, boiled them, grilled, rolled them into sushi, baked them into stromboli, formed them into burgers and “hot dogs,” dipped them into Fondue, used them as a filling for savory pie, etc. These bulbous beauties are just so tasty and versatile…and that’s even before you pick between red and golden beets!
Okay, enough waxing poetic about the virtues of beets…For this beet recipe, we decided to blend concepts from our Heart Beet Stromboli, Olverindulgence BLT, and Goat Cheese Stuffed Beets. In the end, we wound up with a beety dough rolled around tarragon and black pepper goat cheese and baked into a log of awesomeness.
There are also a lot of ways to serve these. You could eat them fresh out of the oven…or you can do what we did and make them ahead of time, slice them, and fry them in a little butter to crisp them up. Either way, these are great as an entree, a side, or even an appetizer. We served ours as a main with sauteed leeks and beet greens.
Time: 2 Hours (45 Minutes if using precooked beets)
Ingredients (Makes 3-4 Servings):
- 2 Large Beets
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Flax Meal
- Goat Cheese
- Black Pepper
- Dried Tarragon
- Optional (if you prefer your rolls to be a little airier/less dense): 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- Rinse and boil your beets until they are soft enough to pierce with a fork (45-60 minutes depending on size of your beets).
- Remove your beets from the water, and allow them to cool to the point where you can peel the skins off with your thumbs. Then use your thumbs to peel (they should just come right off with a little pressure). You may want to wear kitchen/food grade gloves to avoid dying your hands red.
- Cut your peeled beets into cubes, and place them in your food processor. Add your flour, flax meal, some tarragon, and some pepper (+your baking powder if using), and puree into a paste.
- Place a pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven, and preheat to 425 degrees F.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on your counter, and sprinkle down some flour upon it.
- Scoop and spread your beet dough into a large rectangle over your floured parchment. This is messy, and there will be a good amount of sticking…don’t be discouraged.
- Spread your goat cheese atop your beet quadrangle, and sprinkle down more black pepper and tarragon.
- Lift your parchment paper to roll your beet dough over on itself. Again, you’ll get a decent amount of sticking here, so just be patient as you do this, and trust me that it will all come out well in the end.
- Place your rolled dough (while still encapsulated in your parchment) onto your now hot pizza stone.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and set on a cooling rack.
- “Plate, Devour, and Enjoy!” using either of the following options:
- Slice and serve
- Heat some butter in a cast iron pan. Slice your beet roll, and place the slices in your butter. Fry for 2-3 minutes, flip, and fry the other side for another 2-3 minutes.