We came up with this idea a while back and stored it in our phone notes to save for the right moment. Then, we forgot about it for a while (thus torpedoing our intention)…and we finally revisited the idea when we perused that list in greater detail. Well, we are glad we did, because these little morsels are awesome (and so easy to make). Not only are they bite sized, making them fantastic hors d’oeuvres…but they taste like a mushroom pizza (extra mushroom). They are also fully customizable, as you can place whichever other pizza topping(s) you like in your mushroom caps before you add your sauce. We used some red pepper flakes to add a bit of heat…but a few chunks of diced green pepper, some sliced black olives, or even a little piece of pepperoni would also be phenomenal!
We served our mushrooms with Delicata Squash Fries and Mini Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls.
Time: 45 Minutes
- Baby Bella (Cremini) Mushrooms
- Tomato Sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Optional: Red Pepper Flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with foil. Give the foil a quick oil spray.
- Clean your mushrooms, and remove the stems to form a cavity in the mushrooms, and place them cap side down on your baking sheet.
- Sprinkle some red pepper flakes into the caps if you want a little heat.
- Use a spoon to scoop marinara sauce into the cavities in your mushroom caps.
- Bake for 35 minutes, and then remove from the oven, and sprinkle your mozzarella atop each.
- Bake for another 5 or so minutes to melt your cheese.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!