The NFL season kicked off yesterday, and since our team (GO BILLS!) was in it, we decided to go a little crazy with gameday apps. Okay…since we played the Rams, the original plan was to cook a symbolic Mutton Roast…but we couldn’t find mutton in time, so we changed course. After the result of the game, I’m wondering which of our three apps was good luck so we (yes, we…I take some credit) can keep the wins coming! The first component of our snacking endeavors that we present to you are these mini Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls! Originally, we planned to make regular sized Egg Rolls, but the store was out of those wrappers, so we picked up wonton wrappers and quadrupled our assembly efforts. But in the end, the flavours were on point, and the bite sizedness provided a great touch for a good hors d’oeuvre effect.
Time: 60 Minutes (Depending on how many you make and how many people you have helping)
- Wonton Wrappers (or Egg Roll wrappers if you want bigger morsels)
- Chicken Breast (or Ground Chicken)
- Buffalo Sauce
- Blue Cheese Dressing for dipping
- Slice your celery into thin strips. We cut ours into short strips too because we were making small egg rolls…you want the length to fit in the wrappers.
- Dice your chicken finely.
- Melt some butter in a pan, and add your celery. Sauté until it begins to soften, and then add your chicken and Buffalo sauce. Cook until your chicken is tender, your sauce is coating everything, and there’s no residual liquid left in the pan.
- Arrange your egg roll wrappers on a large clean surface, and scoop your filling onto each.
- Working one at a time, wet your fingers, run them around the edges of your wrapper, and roll it up like an envelope. Then, place your morsel on a plate, and move on to your next egg roll until they’re all wrapped.
- Heat some vegetable or canola oil in a heavy bottomed (we like cast iron for this) pan.
- When your oil is hot, arrange your egg rolls in it, and cook until golden brown on all sides (you’ll need to turn them as they cook).
- When your morsels are all crispy and golden brown, you’re done!
- Plate, dip, devour, and enjoy!