The other day, we took a trip up to Flushing, NY and made an obligatory stop at Cheese of the World. From their incredible array of cheese, we selected four unique wedges, and we checked out. English Truffled Cheddar was the first of the bunch. Seeing as though the cheese was English, and we like to be cheeky with our food choices, we stopped in at Mainly Mushrooms in Stockton, NJ and picked up some Lion’s Mane (as a play on Three Lions).
We then opted to bread and fry our mushrooms before topping them with cheese. In the end, we had an appetizer that was crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and covered in a gloriously complexly flavored melted cheese. This one was a winner in the eyes (mouths?) of my acclaimed food critics.
Time: 20 Minutes
- Lion’s Mane Mushroom
- All Purpose Flour (about a tablespoon)
- 1-2 Large Eggs
- Bread Crumbs
- English Truffled Cheddar
- Optional: Whole Grain Dijon as a garnish
- Rinse and slice your mushroom into cross-sections.
- Grab three bowls, and put a tablespoon of flour in one, a beaten egg in another, and some bread crumbs in the last.
- Working one piece of mushroom at a time, toss in flour to coat. Then, dip and coat with your egg, and lastly, toss in your bread crumbs to fully encrust. Then, place on the basket of your air fryer.
- When all of your slices are crusted and in your basket, give them a good oil spray.
- Heat your air fryer to 400 degrees F, and place the basket in. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until your bread crumbs turn golden brown and crispy.
- As your mushrooms cook, slice your cheese.
- When your mushrooms are ready, pull them out, and top them with your cheese. Place back in for a few minutes to melt.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!