For this dinner, we decided to borrow on a prior concept and change it up a bit. In this case, our template was BBQ Chicken and Barley Skillet. This time though, we ditched the Barley in favor of Turnip, and we substituted cabbage for peas. Given that barley and turnip taste nothing alike, this turned out like a brand new dish (with a different nutrient profile, mind you).
Given all of the veggies in this entree, we did not make a side dish to pair with it. However, due to the lack of carbs, we would suggest adding a little cornbread to your plate to balance things out a bit!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Chicken Breast
- Turnips…we used 5 medium sized ones (Although, you can use riced cauliflower if you prefer)
- Shredded Cabbage
- Shredded Carrots
- Paprika (Smoked = preferred)
- Garlic Powder
- BBQ Sauce of your Choice
- Shredded Cheddar
- Wash your turnips, and cut the tops and bottoms off. Then, cut into quarters, and chop them in a food processor.
- Dice your onion and wash and dice mushrooms.
- Melt some butter in a deep pot (we used a cast iron Dutch Oven), and then add in your onion and mushrooms, and sautee.
- As your onions and mushrooms cook, cut your chicken into cubes, and then add it to your pot. Cook until your chicken browns.
- Add in your turnip and shredded cabbage and carrots, and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle in some garlic powder and smoked paprika, and stir everything together. As your mixture cooks, some ingredients will lose moisture, and water will appear in your pot. When your water has evaporated, you’re ready to move on.
- Squirt in your BBQ sauce, and sprinkle on your cheese. Then, stir everything together, and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!