The other day, we wanted a quick meal with very little cleanup and a lot of flavour, so this is what we came up with! It’s delicious and can be built with a lot of ingredient substitutions to suit your tastes! Swap out chicken for pork, add in any veggies you like (corn would be a great addition), or even replace the barley with rice, quinoa, or any other grain you prefer!
**If you want something with fewer carbs and more veggies, try our Dutch Oven BBQ Chicken and Turnip Recipe!
Time: 35 Minutes
- 1/2 Cup of Barley (and 2 Cups of water)
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- An Onion
- BBQ Sauce of your choosing
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Begin to heat your barley and water in a pot, since that will take the longest time of any process step.
- As your barley cooks, dice your veggies, and set aside.
- Then, cut your chicken into chunks into your desired size.
- Heat some oil or butter in a cast iron pan, and when it’s hot, add your chicken. Sautee until all sides have browned slightly (about 5-6 minutes)
- Add in the rest of your vegetables, and stir to combine. Continue to sautee (about 7-10 minutes)
- When your barley is ready (the water will have all evaporated, and the grains will be tender), add it to your skillet, and mix everything together.
- Stir in your BBQ sauce, and top everything with cheese.
- Either wait for your cheese to melt while your pan is on the stovetop, or place the pan under your broiler for about 30 seconds.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!