Today would have been my mom’s birthday, and since duck was her favourite, it’s the best way I could think of to honor and celebrate her memory. Whenever she would serve us dinner growing up, she would say, “I hope it’s not completely hateful,” instead of saying she hoped it was good. Normally, her meals were “Fan-double-tastic” though, and they greatly exceeded the bar she set for herself. My wish for this meal is that you find it at least “not completely hateful,” if not “Fan-double-tastic.”
Time: 30 Minutes for the Pizza (plus dough making and duck meat prep, which can be done in a crockpot for about 4-6 hours and can be done a day ahead of time).
- Pizza Crust. (Use store-bought or make your own with one of our Pizza Dough Recipes)
- Duck Meat (we used leg and neck, but breast will work well too)
- Black Pepper
- A few ounces of water and optional white wine)
- Orange Sauce (We used the one that came in the package with our duck, but you can make your own as well)
- Asparagus or Green Beans
- A creamy cheese that melts well but isn’t overpowering in flavour…We are using Raclette.
- Prep your duck by removing the skin and putting the meat in your crockpot (you can also roast, but crock-pot is a “set it and forget it” machine) Sprinkle on your black pepper and rosemary, add in a few ounces of water and dry white wine, and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6.
- When your duck is cooked, pull the meat apart with two forks to shred, and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F, and put your pizza stone in the oven as it heats.
- While your oven heats, slice your asparagus.
- If using fresh pizza dough (as opposed to a premade crust), place some parchment paper on your counter, and shape your dough by hand or with a rolling pin. Place on your parchment paper
- When your oven and pizza stone are ready, remove your stone from the oven, and transfer your pizza dough/crust to it.
- Toss the crust back in the oven for a minute or two to really firm up the bottom, and then take back out of the oven.
- While your crust firms, slice your cheese.
- Spread your orange sauce atop the crust, and then add your shredded duck and asparagus. Lastly, add your cheese, and put back into the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!