The other day, (starting with Spicy Chickpea and Kale Stew), my sous chef began to
like accept Kale! It also just so happens that our CSA overfloweth with Kale these days…so it’s now on the menu pretty frequently. For this dish, we decided to go back to the Garam Masala flavour profile like we did for the aforementioned stew…but also to make kale a more prominent part of the dish. So, we made a creamy spicy kale curry! We also had a giant block of Paneer that a friend gave us, so we figured we should go with a vegetarian entree and feature that too. The last piece of the puzzle comes from our affinity for Savory Rhubarb, and the inclusion of rhubarb along with the cream gave a hint of bitter and sweet that really rounded everything out surprisingly well. The picture may not look terribly appetizing to the untrained eye, but don’t let that fool you! This dish was bursting with a great combination of flavour and nutrition!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Garam Masala
- Ghee or Butter
- Melt some butter in a large pan, and sprinkle in your cumin, coriander, and garam masala.
- As your spices heat, dice your onion, rhubarb, and jalapeño, and add them to the pan. Sauté until your onions turn opaque, your rhubarb disintegrates, and your hot peppers soften.
- As your veggies cook, cut your kale into thin strips. When your veggies are ready, add your kale, and stir it around until it wilts.
- As your kale cooks, cut your paneer into cubes. We air fried our paneer for a few minutes to get it a little crispy on the outside, but that’s not necessary…just encouraged.
- When your kale has wilted, transfer all of your veggies to a blender, and puree.
- Add a little more ghee or butter to your pan, and then put your paneer in, and stir to coat.
- Pour in your kale puree, and stir to combine.
- Add in some cream, and fold it into your kale and paneer mixture. Bring to a low simmer.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!