In the second part of our Clam Extravaganza after my wife’s grandpa gave us a bounty of clams last week, we decided to borrow from another seafood dish we made a little while back…Buffalo Calamari. Hence, Buffalo Fried Clams (although we used an air fryer). As we ate, we realized that these would be great as a Football Food for when Buffalo and New England square off in the future since it combines some preeminent culinary traditions/staples of each city…and there’s also the symbolism of Buffalo totally surrounding New England like they did in the 2022 playoff game…but I
We served our clams with Roasted Potatoes and a Spinach Side Salad.
Time: 45 Minutes
- Bread Crumbs
- Buffalo Sauce
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Scallion Onion
- Add some water to a large pan with steep sides or a pot, and bring it to a boil.
- As your water heats, wash off your clams. We scrubbed them with a toothbrush that we keep in our kitchen almost exclusively for shellfish.
- When your water is boiling, place your clams in, and cook until the shells pop open. Once a shell opens, remove from the water. If any shells do not open, discard those clams.
- As your clams cook, slice your scallions into ribbons.
- When your clams are done cooking and have begun to cool just enough to touch, use a fork to remove each clam from its shell. Discard the shells.
- Place three bowls on your counter
- Add a tablespoon of all purpose flour into the first bowl
- Put an egg into the second, and beat with a fork
- Pour some bread crumbs into the third bowl.
- Working a few clams at a time, toss in your flour bowl to coat. Then, transfer to your egg bowl, and get them all good and eggy. Lastly, move to your bread crumb bowl, and toss to bread your clams. Set aside (we placed them on our air frying rack), and do your next batch until all of your clams are breaded.
- Cook your clams!
- Air Fry at 400 degrees F for 10 Minutes
- Deep Fry until crispy/golden brown
- Spray with a little oil, and bake at 425 degrees F for about 10 minutes until your breading becomes crispy.
- Transfer your cooked clams to a bowl, and pour some Buffalo Sauce over them. Toss to coat your clams with sauce.
- Plate, top with crumbled blue cheese and your scallions, devour, and enjoy!