Buffalo Bills preseason started the other day, and since it was televised nationally, we got to watch! I get it…preseason isn’t all that exciting in its own…but to me, it felt like opening the “1” box on an Advent calendar! So, we broke out the Buffalo sauce, cut up some squid, and had a Buffalonian Seafood dinner! We then served our meal over a bed of field greens and topped it with a yogurt blue cheese dressing. If you like Buffalo Sauce and you like Calamari, give this a try.
Time: 45 Minutes (most of it is prep work)
- Calamari. We used tubes and tentacles.
- Optional: Spicy Pickled Banana Pepper Slices
- All Purpose Flour
- Bread Crumbs
- Buffalo Sauce
- Dressing of your choice. We used a Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing.
- Optional: Field Greens if you want to serve over that.
- Pat your calamari dry, remove any beaks that may have gotten in there, and slice the tubes into rounds.
- Pour some all purpose flour into a bowl, beat an egg in another, and add bread crumbs to a large one.
- Start by tossing your banana peppers in flour, coating them in egg, and tossing them in bread crumbs to coat. Then, set them aside on a plate.
- Working in batches, bread your calamari with the same method you used to bread your peppers.
- Heat a deep bottomed cooking vessel (we used a Dutch Oven), and add in a little oil to coat the bottom.
- When your oil’s hot, add some calamari and peppers into your oil. Cook for a few minutes on both sides to brown, then remove, place in a large bowl, and add your next batch. Do this until your calamari is all cooked.
- When all of your cooked calamari and peppers are in the large bowl, pour your Buffalo Sauce over, and toss to coat.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!