Upon finding a bunch of Hen of the Woods on our Niagara Falls hike, we had our work cut out for us. Since we still had some leftover Kaiser Rolls from our Buffalo Bison Burgers (also featuring Hen of the Woods), we decided to make another sandwich. Enter: the concept of Sloppy Joes! We’d made some Vegetarian ones in the past with Jackfruit, so we decided to try again but with our wild mushrooms.
Time: 30 Minutes
- Hen of the Woods
- Onion (we used red)
- For your Sauce:
- Water (Equal parts to ketchup)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Seasonings of your choice. We used Cinnamon, Turmeric, and Chipotle Chili Powder
- Combine your sauce ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a low simmer.
- Dice your onion, heat some oil in a pan, and then add your onions. Cook until they caramelize.
- As your onions cook, cut the bottom of your Hen of the woods off, and wash your mushroom well. Then, dice it into very small pieces, and add to your onion pan.
- Continue to cook your onions and mushrooms together for 7-10 minutes until your onions begin to brown.
- Pour your sauce over your mushroom pan, and stir to combine. Allow to simmer so your sauce can finish thickening and coating you mushroom/onion mixture.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!