While looking in the fridge, we realized we had an abundance of autumn foods on hand (Pumpkin, Corn, and Hen the Woods), so we decided to make a pizza with those flavours! For our cheese, we decided to use some Smoked Alpen Kase that we bought from Goot Essa Cheese a few weeks ago since we thought it would pair very nicely. The smokiness of that cheese balanced perfectly with the earthy and sweet flavours of the rest of our ingredients, so we highly recommend this specific cheese…but if convenience lies with another cheese, we suggest erring on the side of something smoked (Gouda, Cheddar, or Mozzarella).
Time: 75 Minutes (most of which is to boil your pumpkin…can cut out a lot of time with canned)
- Pizza Dough or Crust. Or try Making Your Own! We used Pumpkin Pizza Crust.
- For your Sauce:
- 1/8 Fresh Medium Pumpkin (3/4 cup of canned will work to save time).
- White Pepper
- Ground Sage
- For your Toppings:
- Maitake (Hen of the Woods) Mushroom
- Smoked Cheese. We used an alpine style cheese, but Gouda would be fantastic too.
- Optional Meat Components:
- Pulled Turkey (We had some leftover from our Buffalo Turkey Wings)
- Break Down your Pumpkin, cut into wedges, and cut the skin off. Then, chop into chunks, and boil until soft, and puree. OR open a can of pumpkin. Transfer to a small pot, and add in your White Pepper, Sage, and a little Salt. Bring to a low simmer, and stir occasionally to evaporate any excess liquid.
- Place your pizza stone in your oven, and heat to 425 degrees F.
- As your oven heats, cut your corn off the cob (or thaw some frozen corn), dice your onion, and wash and dice your Hen of the Woods.
- If adding meat onto your pizza, either shred your turkey meat or slice your bacon into ribbons and cook until crispy.
- Heat some oil in a pan, and when it’s hot, add your onions. Cook until they begin to caramelize.
- Add your mushroom and corn to the pan, and continue to sauté for another 5-6 minutes.
- As your toppings finish cooking, slice your cheese.
- Remove your pizza stone from the oven, and put your pizza crust/dough atop.
- Spread your pumpkin sauce on your crust.
- Top your sauce with your mushroom/corn/onion mixture, and arrange any optional meat you’re using on top of that.
- Arrange your cheese on your pizza last.
- Place in the oven, and cook for 15-25 minutes until your crust reaches your desired level of crispness, and your cheese melts.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!