The other weekend, I had the opportunity to do some camp-out cooking! The weekend consisted of two dinners, a lunch (with a lot of awesome help from fellow campers), and a breakfast (also with a lot of good help). The menu began on a Friday night with Steak Burritos (flat iron steak). To try to minimize campsite cleanup, did all the prep ahead of time and brought little containers of sliced ingredients (aside from the avocado, which I didn’t want to precut and have brown)…I even made a little spice packet! Of course, I also had to make the Roasted Salsa ahead of time since there was no electricity, and I wasn’t going to bring a kitchen appliance to puree it. In the end, there was only a frying pan, a saucepan, and a cutting board to clean, so I’m happy to report that it was a camping meal success!
The other meals for this trip were Croissant Breakfast Sandwiches, Camp-out Chicken Kebabs, and Blackened Shrimp with Smoked Gouda Grits!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Steak. We used about 1.25 lbs of Flat Iron Steak to make 6 burritos.
- Burrito Wraps
- Rice. We used about 1/4 cup dried rice per burrito.
- Shredded Taco Cheese
- Salsa. Try Homemade Roasted Salsa!!!
- Ground Cumin
- Ancho Chili Powder (or regular chili powder)
- Cayenne Powder
- Dried Cilantro
- Onion Powder
- Chipotle Chili Powder
- Get your rice going:
- Heat some oil in a saucepan, and add your rice.
- Allow to cook over medium heat, tossing your rice until it becomes opaque.
- Pour in water (1/2-2/3 cup water per quarter cup of rice), and turn the heat to low.
- Cut your lemon into wedges, and squeeze the juice into the rice pot.
- Cover, and let cook for about 20 minutes until all o the rice is absorbed.
- As your rice cooks, turn your attention to your filling:
- Slice your onion, set aside, and then slice your steak (against the grains).
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pan (we used cast iron), and add a little cooking oil.
- When the oil’s hot, add your mushrooms, and sautee until they become opaque.
- Add your steak and seasonings, and stir to combine. Cook (stirring intermittently) until all your meat has browned.
- As your steak and onions cook, prep your burrito toppings:
- Slice your lettuce into thin strips.
- Thinly slice your tomato into rounds
- Cut your avocado lengthwise, remove the pit, peel, and slice into wedges.
- When your rice and your meat are cooked, it’s time to build!
- Place a burrito tortilla on your plate.
- Scoop and spread some rice atop.
- Sprinkle some cheese on your rice.
- Top that with your meat and onion mixture (this sandwiching effect will melt the cheese nicely)
- Add your other toppings, and top everything off with your salsa.
- Wrap, devour, and enjoy!