So I’m a little delayed in posting this recipe, as it was cooked in April as part of a Family Appreciation Custom Pizza night (along with Buffalo Blue Cheese Chicken Pizza and Bacon Mushroom Gruyere Pizza). This particular pizza was for my wife, so naturally, it had to have beets! For good measure and some colour, we added arugula along with two types of cheese (mozzarella and Gruyere) and finished everything with a balsamic glaze to add a little tart sweetness to the flavour profile!
Time: 25 Minutes (Plus beet boiling time if using fresh beets)
- Pizza Crust or Dough. Go with pre-made, or try Making Your Own!
- A cooked, peeled, and sliced Beet
- Seasoned Olive Oil
- Shredded Mozzarella
- White Balsamic Glaze
- Boil your beet(s) until they can easily be pierced with a fork. Then, remove from your pot, and place in cool water. When they’ve cooled enough to touch, use your thumbs to peel the skin. Discard the skin, and slice your beet.
- Place your pizza stone in the oven, and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- As your oven heats, slice your Gruyere thinly
- When your pizza stone is hot, remove from the oven, and arrange your pizza dough/crust on it.
- Brush a little seasoned olive oil atop your pizza crust/dough.
- Layer your sliced beets and arugula on your crust/dough, and then spread your cheeses.
- Finish everything off with a squirt or two of balsamic glaze over everything, and stash back in the oven.
- Cook for 15-25 minutes to melt your cheese and get your crust to your desired level of crispness.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!