This vegetarian stew is loosely based on Kik Alicha, which is a yellow pea stew from Ethiopia. For this one though, we omitted the Turmeric, used diced onions instead of pureed onions, we used vegetable broth instead of just water, and we added baby spinach to everything at the end.
Time: 1 Hour (plus time to soak your peas, which can be done overnight)
- 1 Cup of Dried Yellow Peas
- 2 Cups of Vegetable Broth or Stock
- 1 Cup of Water
- Baby Spinach
- Black Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Soak your yellow peas in hot water for at least an hour (let them go longer if you want a “mushier” soup).
- After the soak, drain, and pour your (now semi-hydrated) peas into a large pot.
- Dice your onion, and add it to the peas. Then, grate some fresh ginger into the mix, and stir to combine.
- Turn on the heat, and let everything cook without any butter or oil for a minute or two. Then, add your broth, water, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer for about 40 minutes, and then add in your fresh spinach, and continue to simmer until it wilts.
- When your peas reach your desired level of tenderness, and most of the water/broth has been absorbed, you’re done!
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!