About a month ago, we made a blackening seasoning and used it to make Blackened Swordfish Steak. The seasoning worked so well that we figured we’d try to use it on Crispy Tofu Wedge Steaks. The result was a really tasty, crispy, and aromatic tofu! Since tofu has a lot less of its own natural flavour than food items you normally think of blackening, it’s important to go heavier than normal on the seasoning, and a little lemon squeeze atop your finished wedges goes a long way to really making the flavours pop!
Time: 30 Minutes
- Extra Firm Tofu
- Paprika (Sweet or Smoked works best)
- Cayenne Powder
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Optional: Lemon to squeeze over your finished product
- Remove your tofu from its packaging, and wrap in paper towels to absorb moisture. Do this step a few times until you’ve gotten a good bit of the liquid out (or else, you’ll have trouble developing a crispiness).
- Mix all of your spices (and herb) together in a small bowl, and stir to fully combine.
- Cut your tofu to make each piece half the width of the block, and then cut each piece into triangular wedges.
- Sprinkle your blackening season liberally onto your tofu (both sides).
- Heat some butter and olive oil together (equal amounts…about 1 tbsp of each) in a cast iron pan.
- When your pan is hot, add your wedges, and sear for about 4-5 minutes. Flip, and sear the other side.
- Plate, spritz on some fresh lemon juice (optional), devour, and enjoy!