This one is a simple side dish that pairs very well with BBQ (Here are some of our Favourite BBQ Ribs Recipes) or grilled meats. The corn and caramelized onions give a little sweetness to this that nicely complement the earthiness of the okra and the spice given by the cayenne.
This side is also extremely versatile since you can add any seasonings or ingredients you want (red peppers, fresh hot peppers, different types of onions, or even pinto beans would be good additions) based on what you’ve got in the fridge and/or your own tastes.
Time: 20 Minutes
- Corn (we are using frozen corn, but if you’re planning to use fresh, boil it, and cut it off the cob before you start)
- Optional: Cayenne Powder
- Wash your okra, and then dice your onions and okra, and set each aside in its own bowl.
- Melt some butter in a large pan, and when it is hot, add your onions. Sautee until they turn opaque (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add in your okra slices, and stir to combine. You may need to add a little more butter during this step. Let everything cook for another 5 minutes, stirring intermittently.
- Add in your corn, and sautee until it’s hot. Sprinkle in some salt and any cayenne you plan to use, and stir to combine.
- When your okra and onions have begun to caramelize, you’re done!
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!