When we’re in the mood for a special seafood treat, Sea Scallops usually find their way onto our plates. For this one, we decided to give the scallops a quick light flour coat (we made this before we were tipped off to the Maillard Reaction). Since the flour was what really cooked in the butter, it really took on the flavour of the paprika and butter, leaving the sea scallops with their natural tasty splendor. That said, if you skip the flour, you’ll get more of a blended flavour…scallop and paprika butter in one. The choice is yours (or make half one way and half the other to compare and see which you like more!).
We served these over quinoa and next to steamed broccoli. However, serving this over long grain wild rice with Roasted Asparagus would be pretty good as well.
Time: 15 Minutes
- Sea Scallops
- Smoked Paprika
- Optional: Flour
- Rinse and dry your scallops.
- Begin heating your butter and smoked paprika together in a heavy bottomed (cast iron) pan. (We used the smoked paprika whipped butter from our Venison with Smoked Paprika Butter Recipe)
- Optional: Put your scallops into a large bowl, and toss them in some flour to coat.
- When your butter and pan are very hot, carefully, place your scallops into the pan, and let them sear for about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip, and sear the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!