It has not been very cold this winter, much to our chagrin. But, there’s a corroborated rumor that it’s about to get really chilly in our region, so we figured we should post this hearty and delicious soup in advance of that! This is our take on a classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup…and it’s extra brocified (because it’s us). The end result was an extremely veggie filled, creamy, cheesy soup that delighted my family!
Time: 30 Minutes
- A Large Head of Broccoli
- Optional: Roasted Garlic
- Butter (2-3 tablespoons)
- All Purpose Flour (2-3 tablespoons)
- Shredded (or finely diced) Cheddar Cheese
- Black Pepper
- Use the fine shredding plate of your food processor to shred your broccoli. You can also use a box grater, but it will be a much more arduous task.
- Dice your onion. Melt your butter in a large soup pot (we used an enameled Dutch Oven), and then add your onion, and let cook until it turns opaque.
- Add your broccoli (and Roasted Garlic if using), and stir to combine. Cover, and let cook down a bit. You may want to add a little water to help encourage the cooking via some steam.
- Once your broccoli has softened, scoop your all purpose flour in, and stir to combine.
- Pour in your milk, and stir to combine. Bring to a low simmer, and then add in your cheese and some black pepper.
- Stir to melt your cheese completely.
- Plate (bowl?), devour, and enjoy!