Our neighborhood is abloom with Vase Shaped Puffballs! Luckily, we find them delicious, and we enjoy their silken tofu-esque texture, so this season is a real treat for us (and a money saver too). Given the aforementioned texture of this mushroom, we decided to use it for a cuisine where Tofu can be a star ingredient…Thai Food! This dish in particular blends the distinctive flavours of the humble peanut with the sweetness of coconut milk along with the slight bitterness of broccoli and red pepper to create a symphony in the mouth. Okay…that sounds ridiculous and grandiose, but this was very tasty!
Time: 45 Minutes
- Vase Shaped Puffball
- Red Bell pepper
- Thai Peanut Sauce
- Coconut Milk
- Slice your red pepper, onion, and garlic, and set aside.
- Cut your broccoli into florets, and steam for about 3 minutes to soften.
- Slice your puffball, and make sure the inside is a vibrant white (not yellowing and certainly not purple). Then, peel off the skin from each slice, and cube your mushroom.
- Heat some oil in a pan, and add your peppers, onion, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until your ingredients soften, and your onions become opaque.
- Add your cubed mushroom, and stir in. Allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine your steamed broccoli with your other ingredients, and pour in your peanut sauce. Stir to fully incorporate, and let sit for a few minutes.
- Pour in your coconut milk, stir all of your ingredients together, and bring to a simmer to reduce the liquid a bit (another 10 minutes or so).
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!