This recipe is for a simple yet very flavorful preparation of Hen of the Woods. We cut it into small bits and sautéed it with garlic and spinach and let all of those flavours just do their thing. If you haven’t got access to Hen of the Woods/Maitake, this recipe would work well with sliced portobello as well.
We served our mushrooms atop couscous and paired it with Buffalo Turkey Wings. However, this would also pair perfectly with more homey flavours like Garlic Crusted Pork Loin, Pan Roasted Cornish Hen Halves, or Crockpot Turkey Legs.
Time: 20 Minutes
- Hen of the Woods (Maitake) Mushroom
- Baby Spinach
- Dice your shallot and garlic.
- Wash and slice your hen of the woods thinly.
- Heat some butter in a frying pan (cast iron if you have it).
- When the butter’s hot, add your shallots and garlic, and cook for a few minutes until your shallot turns opaque.
- Add your hen of the woods, and continue to sauté for another 5-6 minutes.
- When your hen has started to brown a little, add in some handfuls of baby spinach, and cook to wilt.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!