My wife’s great aunt sent us a picture via text the other day, and it was to show us that she’d randomly happened upon three Hen of the Woods mushrooms! So, we Dried Some of Them and cooked the rest! For this meal, we sliced and pan fried our mushrooms before adding some homemade pickled Hungarian Wax Peppers (for the tang) and smothering with BBQ Sauce (our Pumpkin BBQ Sauce, specifically).
We served our sandwiches with our Corn and Okra Medley. However, this would also go well with Sweet Potato Fries, various Veggie Tots, or a Side Salad!
Time: 20 Minutes (more if breading)
- Hen of the Woods (Maitake) Mushroom
- Your Favourite BBQ Sauce. We used our Homemade Pumpkin BBQ Sauce.
- A Bun
- Optional, but suggested: Pickle Chips or Pickled Peppers.
- Optional: Egg and Bread Crumbs to bread your mushroom
- Remove the woody end of your Hen of the woods, and then wash and cut your mushroom into slices.
- If breading, crack and whip an egg, and dip your mushroom in to coat…then cover with bread crumbs, and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan, and when it’s hot, add in your mushroom slices.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side until each side of the mushroom is golden brown.
- As your mushrooms cook, bring your BBQ sauce to a simmer in a saucepan.
- Arrange your mushroom slices on your bun.
- Top with your pickled peppers or pickles.
- Smother with BBQ Sauce.
- Plate, Devour, and Enjoy!