One of our first blog recipes was Spicy Southwest Black Bean Burgers, and nearly two years later, we realized we haven’t made black bean burgers since! What horror! So, we decided to make another burger out of black beans but to switch up the flavours drastically from our prior attempt. The onions and mushrooms (combined with the egg) made this a pretty moist burger with lots of flavour. The onion infused cheddar and BBQ sauce made it that much more fun!
Since we love them as a side for burgers, we baked a batch of Sweet Potato Wedge Fries to serve with our entree! Normally, we suggest other pairing options, but sweet potato fries just worked well, so we’re going to leave it at that.
Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 Can of Black Beans
- 1/2 Large Onion
- A handful of Cremini (Baby Bella) Mushrooms
- An Egg
- Bread Crumbs
- Optional: Cheese of your choice. We used a Caramelized Onion Infused Cheddar.
- Clean your mushrooms, and then dice them along with your onions.
- Melt a little butter in a pan, and add your onions and mushrooms. Sautee until they begin to caramelize (about 10-15 minutes).
- As your onions and mushrooms cook, open your can of black beans, and rinse them off. Then, pour them into a mixing bowl.
- Crack an egg, and add it to the mixing bowl as well, and then when your mushrooms and onions are ready, add them in too. Allow to cool for a minute or two (mushrooms and onions will be hot at first)
- Pour in some bread crumbs, and then use your hand to mash everything together, and squeeze the mixture through your fingers so that it ends up like a chunky paste (appetizing description, no?).
- Heat a griddle, and give it a little oil spray.
- Form your burgers into patties, and place them on your griddle. Cook for about 5-6 minutes on one side, and then flip.
- Place your cheese atop, cover with a large pan lid, and cook for another 5-6 minutes to finish and melt the cheese.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!