If you’re a broccoli lover, this one is for you! We shredded the broccoli crown (saving the stalks for later!) and used it with some millet to make a veggie cake. The broccoli flavours came through strongly and were nicely balanced by the cheddar cheese. The millet and egg built a some body and a nice texture to the cake. The way that everything came together, this recipe will work nicely for cakes or to make veggie burgers. So, while we made cakes, I’ve added a divergent recipe step explaining how to make each and added a few extra pictures at the end of the post showing the steps to make burgers.
We served these as an entree with Baked Sweet Potato Fries. However, it would also be a good side to pair with BBQ meat.
Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients: (Makes 2 cakes or 6-8 burger patties)
- 1/2 cup of dried Millet
- 1 Broccoli Crown (save the Stalks if you buy the whole broccoli)
- 3 Eggs
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Put your millet into a pot with about 2 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Let cook until all of the water has absorbed into your millet and/or evaporated.
- While your millet cooks, wash your broccoli, and shred it with the shredding plate of food processor or a box grater, and put your shredded broccoli into a large mixing bowl.
- Slice, and add your cheese to the broccoli bowl.
- When your millet is done (soft with no water left in the pot), let it cool briefly, and add it to your broccoli bowl.
- Crack your eggs into the bowl, sprinkle in your salt and pepper, and mix everything together by hand.
- To cook, you have two options:
- To make Cakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Heat some small cast iron pans, and melt a little butter in each. As your butter heats, rotate your pan so that the butter coats most of the way up the sides of your pan.
- When your butter is hot, scoop and press your broccoli/millet mixture into the pan, and let cook for about 5-7 minutes to get a nice golden brown crust on the pan side of your cake.
- Move your pans to the oven, and allow to bake for about 15 minutes.
- Finish under the broiler to firm up the top of your cakes.
- Remove from the oven, and use a butter knife to slide around the edges between the pan and the cakes.
- Put a plate atop your pan, and flip everything so that the golden brown crispy edge faces up.
- To make Burgers:
- Heat a cast iron pan with a little olive oil.
- When the pan is hot, form your patties by hand, and put them into your pan.
- Let cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 5-6 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- To make Cakes:
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!
Alternatively, if you’re going the burger route instead of cakes, here are some process pictures for you: