We’ve had some fun with Funky Tacos over the past year, and this recipe is determined to land itself on our Taco Mt. Rushmore. This one is our first Vegetarian Taco (but there will be more!). Anyway, if you’re looking to add some flare to your next Taco Tuesday, try this recipe on for size!
Our inspiration for this recipe came from a restaurant near where my wife works that served (very different) tacos with cauliflower as the main ingredient, and they were delicious. Add in the fact that we still had tortillas left over from a meal last week and cauliflower in the fridge that my wife cut as part of prep for her Cauliflower and Chestnut Stuffing Thanksgiving side dish (to be posted soon) that needed to be eaten, and we were cooking!
Time: 30 Minutes
- Tortillas (We are using whole wheat ones left over from our Chicken Pot Pie Tacos)
- Any toppings you like. We are using shredded carrots and sliced avocado. Bean Sprouts or sliced Roasted Kimchi would be great too.
- For the sauce:
- Water (3 Parts)
- Soy Sauce (1 Part)
- Rice Vinegar (1 Part)
- Fresh Ginger
- White Sugar
- Corn Starch (about 2 teaspoons)
- Optional: Sesame Seeds
- Start with your sauce:
- Combine all of the liquid sauce ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Add your sugar
- Peel and grate in your ginger using a microplane grater (if you don’t have one, make the investment…it’s cheap and so useful!)
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cut your cauliflower into small pieces, and slice your onions.
- Heat some oil in a pan (we’re using peanut oil), and add when it’s hot, add your cauliflower and onions. Cook until everything starts to caramelize.
- While your cauliflower and sauce cook, prep any toppings you’re using.
- When the cauliflower has softened and started to brown a little, pour in your sauce, and let everything simmer/braise together. *Add sesame seeds here if using
- After a few minutes of simmering, mix together your corn starch with some warm water in a small cup until it’s completely dissolved. Then, pour this into your cauliflower pan, and let simmer to thicken.
- While all that finishes up, heat your tortillas.
- Build, devour, and enjoy!