The other day, we were walking around a few athletic fields while we waited for my son’s football game to start…and we spotted some Purple Spored Puffballs! We then thought back to the time we made Puffalo Bites, and we decided to go back to that concept as the basis for a taco! So, we cut our puffballs into strips (rather that cubes) so they’d fit better into a tortilla shell, coated with flour, and fried them up. A quick toss in Buffalo Sauce, and we were on our way! In the end, these tacos turned out really well and were quite a nice fall treat.
Time: 35 Minutes
- Purple Spored Puffball Mushrooms
- All Purpose Flour
- Buffalo Sauce
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Flour Tortillas
- Slice your puffball mushroom(s) into cross sections, and remove the skin.
- Slice into rectangular prisms, and then coat in some all purpose flour. Then, set each piece on a plate.
- Heat some oil in a cast iron pan. When it’s hot, work in batches to fry your puffball pieces.
- While your puffballs fry, arrange your taco shells, and top each with lettuce.
- As each puffball piece turns crispy and golden brown, remove to a mixing bowl. Continue until all your puffballs are fried.
- Pour Buffalo sauce atop your mushrooms, and toss to combine.
- Place your fried mushrooms on your tacos atop your lettuce.
- Pour a little blue cheese dressing over your buffalo mushrooms, and top with some additional crumbled blue cheese.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!