One property of Extra Firm Tofu that we really appreciate (and rely on) is that it is very crumbly. It’s that very aspect that allows us to build non-block textures from it…sort of like we did for Buffalo Tofu Nuggets and Buffalo Tofu Tacos. For this one, we decided to embrace the fact that the crumbled tofu itself has a very scrambled eggish texture, and we served them as such! Of course, there was one main challenge we encountered as we built this dish…Tofu and Eggs are NOT the same colour! Fortunately, we’ve got some spices on our rack that can serve as food coloring, and the most effective one of those that we have just so happens to be yellow! So, we broke out the turmeric and let it do its thing!
We made our scramble with bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and then we served it alongside a bagel. However, you can easily swap out any of the scramble ingredients for whatever you’re in the mood for. We think it might be fun to add bacon into this one (if for no other reason than to be self-contradictory).
Time: 25 Minutes
- Extra Firm Tofu
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Ground Turmeric
- Mustard Powder
- Black Pepper
- Dice your onion and peppers. Then, heat some olive oil in a pan, and add them in to sauté. Cook until your peppers soften, and your onion turns opaque.
- As your peppers and onions cook, clean and slice your mushrooms. Then, add them to the pan.
- Drain your tofu water, and plop the block into a large bowl. Use your hands to crumble it completely so that it has the consistency of scrambled eggs. Then, add it to your pan, and stir to combine.
- Add in your seasonings (go heavy on Turmeric for colour). Stir to combine, and cook until your ingredients are all hot.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!