It’s May, which means it’s Rhubarb Season! My wife’s grandma has already surprised us with her classic Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, and her grandpa gave us a good handful of fresh stalks from his garden. All that is to say, it is officially 2023 Savory Rhubarb Season in the Olveringulgence Household!
To kick things off, we decided to make a casserole in our cast iron pan…or as we call it, “Casterole.” We started by dicing our onions, rhubarb, celery, and garlic and giving that a quick sauté before adding in our meat, seasonings, and kale. Then, we added in a little all purpose flour to make a roux around our ingredients and then some chicken stock to make it saucy and thick. Lastly, we added some bread we soaked in chicken stock to the top and hit under the broiler to crisp the top while leaving the rest of the breading to melt in our mouths with each bite.
Time: 60 Minutes
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 2-3 Stalks of Rhubarb
- A few Celery stalks
- 3-4 Leaves of Kale
- Sweet Paprika
- Black Pepper
- Baguette (It can be stale…we actually used crostini leftover from a recent Whipped Ricotta meal)
- 2 Cups of Chicken Stock
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter
- 2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- Optional (but we think would be a fantastic addition): Sliced Mushrooms
- Slice your baguette, and soak it in about a cup of your chicken stock so it absorbs the moisture.
- Sprinkle in your flour, and stir to combine. Then, add in the rest of your chicken stock, and allow to thicken.
- Arrange your soaked bread component atop your chicken mixture, and stash under the broiler on low to crisp and brown the top of the bread.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!