A week ago was Pi Day (3/14), so we decided to make a set of personal sized savory pies to celebrate. From there, we figured it was time to make a true Pizza Pie…that’s right, Pizza baked into a Pie Crust! Next, we turned our thoughts to the filling (toppings?), and we realized that we had a bit of a challenge ahead of us. The pie crust is much deeper than our normal pizzas, and it wouldn’t absorb any of the sauce as it cooked…so we decided to dice up our ingredients (we went with green peppers, red peppers, onions, and mushrooms for a veggie supreme type motif) and heaped them into our crusts before pouring a little tomato sauce atop and spreading it around to reach the edges.
The other challenge to overcome was that unlike most of our Pizzas, we cooked these at 350 degrees F for a longer time (to compensate for the Pie Crust vs Pizza Dough swap). Because of that, we did a first bake without cheese, and we added the cheese towards the end so it would melt but not overcook. When all was said and done, these babies came out really well and paired nicely with a side salad!
Time: 60 Minutes
- Short Crust Pie Dough
- Filling Ingredients. A few suggestions (asterisks for ones we used):
- Bell Peppers*
- Black Olives
- Crumbled Italian Sausage (cooked ahead of time)
- Wilted Spinach
- Roasted Garlic
- Tomato Sauce
- Pizza cheese of your choice. We used Smoked Mozzarella.
- Optional Seasonings. We used Garlic Powder, Oregano, and Red Pepper Flakes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and rub a little butter or spread a small amount of olive oil along the inside of your pie plate(s).
- Prepare your short crust pie dough by rolling it out so it fits into your pie plate(s). We cut our dough into thirds and rolled it out since we were making personal pizzas. Then, arrange it in your pie baking vessel.
- Dice your “toppings” ingredients, and place them in your dough.
- Pour a little tomato sauce over your ingredients to cover them. Sprinkle on any of your optional seasonings, and spread everything to the sides of your pie(s).
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- As your pie(s) bake, shred or dice your cheese. After the 35 mins, arrange your cheese atop your pies, and then bake for another 10 minutes or so to melt.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!