Have you ever found yourself in a position where you open the fridge and see a ton of vegetables staring back at you begging to be eaten? Well, when we found ourselves in that situation, we decided to include them all in the party! One fun thing about this particular side dish is that you can use whatever vegetables you want…don’t limit yourself to what we used! Customize it based on what you have on hand and what you like! Other good additions would include zucchini, red bell pepper, celery, asparagus, and shredded cauliflower.
We enjoyed our veggies as the side for Crispy Garlic Mutton Steak, but this would be a spectacular addition to Dutch Oven Roasted Chicken, Pan Roasted Cornish Hen Halves, Dutch Oven Turkey Breast, or Garlic Crusted Pork Loin.
Time: 20 Minutes (+Prep)
- Onion. We used pearled onions, but sweet or red will work too.
- Baby Arugula or Spinach
- Prep all of your veggies. Essentially, you want them to be roughly the same size as one another:
- If using pearled onions, boil them for 3-4 minutes, and then let them cool. Squeeze them out of their oniony husks when they’ve cooled enough.
- If using larger onions, dice them.
- Dice your eggplant
- Peel and slice your garlic
- Shred or dice your carrots
- Dice any other veggies you’re using too.
- Melt some butter in a large skillet, and add your eggplant, garlic, and onions. Sauté until your onions start to turn opaque, and your eggplant softens.
- Add your corn and carrots, and continue to cook until all of your veggies have softened. Add more butter and a little salt as necessary.
- When all of your veggies are nearly ready, add in your leafy greens and some black pepper. Cook until your greens wilt.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!