One thing we really enjoy doing is taking dessert concepts/ingredients and turning them savory. We’ve done this with a host of Savory Pies, Savory Pumpkin Recipes, and even Savory Rhubarb Dishes. For this one, we decided to expand on our savory portfolio by making a very non-carrot cake carrot cake. So, we cooked our carrots, celery, and onion together, mixed with binding ingredients, and broke out our mini cast iron Dutch Ovens to make crispy cakes as a side dish!
We served our cakes with Apple Cider Glazed Pulled Turkey. However, other good pairings include things like:
- Game Meat:
Time: 60 Minutes
- Shredded Carrot
- Roasted Garlic
- Bread Crumbs
- Dice your onion and celery.
- Melt some butter in a heavy bottomed (we like Cast Iron for this) pan, and when it’s not, add your diced veggies.
- When your onions become opaque, add your shredded carrots to the pan, and cook until they soften and start to caramelize.
- If using mini-Cast Iron Dutch Ovens, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. **The other option for cooking these if you don’t have mini-Dutch ovens is to form into patties and cook in a pan like burgers…if you’re going that route, no need to preheat your oven. We prefer the mini-Dutch Oven route because it develops a perfect circle and a crispiness on the outside of the cake.
- When your veggies are done in the pan, transfer to a bowl, and add your roasted garlic to the party. Crack an egg in the bowl too, and pour in some bread crumbs.
- Mix everything in your bowl together to fully combine. Your mixture should hold together well.
- Heat your mini-Dutch Ovens, and give them a good oil spray.
- When your pan(s) are hot, form your carrot “cakes,” and place in your Dutch Ovens.
- Cook on the stovetop for about 4-5 minutes, and then put the lids on and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and work a small spatula around the interior circumference of your Dutch Ovens to loosen your cakes from the sides (they shouldn’t be sticking at this point).
- Carefully, flip your cakes out onto your plate.
- Devour, and enjoy!