Last weekend, we took a bike ride up to Stockton, NJ for lunch, and we also visited the Mainly Mushrooms stand. We came home with some Lion’s Mane, Yellow Oyster Mushrooms, and Morels, and we knew we’d be eating well in the near future.
For this particular recipe, we decided to feature our Morels as a side dish and borrow from the concept of our Spinach Stuffed Morels but with a few changes…namely we cut our morels in half this time, and we stuffed them with seasoned grits!
We served our morels with Lion’s Mane Mushroom Steaks over long grain wild rice and steamed broccoli. However, these would be great as an hors d’oeuvre or served over a salad.
Time: 15 Minutes
- 4 Morels
- 1/2 Cup Water
- A little Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Grits
- Seasonings of your Choice. We used powdered chives, black pepper, and a little salt.
- Pour your water into a saucepan with your butter, and bring to a simmer.
- Add your grits, and whisk in along with your seasonings. Allow to simmer while you whisk occasionally as they thicken.
- Rinse your morels, and cut them in half lengthwise.
- When your grits are done, scoop them into your morel halves.
- Melt some butter in a frying pan, and carefully place your morels (grit side up) in.
- Fry for about 4 minutes to crisp your morels.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!