As our garden continues to grow, our Zucchini harvest has gone into hyperdrive! As such, we find ourselves with a glorious need to eat it all! We started the season off with Zucchini Tots, and for our second recipe, we’re going back to the Stuffed Squash concept we’ve used a few times in the past…but with different ingredients!
We sort of mailed in the side dish and used frozen tater tots (don’t judge). However, if you prefer something different, we suggest Roasted Baby Potatoes, Curried French Fries (but with only salt and pepper to season), or Lisa’s Grilled Potatoes
Time: 60 Minutes
- Large Zucchini
- Raw Bratwurst (loose or removed from the case). You can also make your own quickly by combining:
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Toasted Caraway Seed
- 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Marjoram
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
- Gruyere or other Alpine Cheese that melts nicely
- Bring a large pot (big enough to fit your zucchini) of water to a boil.
- Cut the ends off your zucchini, and then place it in your boiling water. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- As your zucchini cooks, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with some foil. Then, give the foil a quick oil spray.
- Dice your onion and garlic.
- Uncase your bratwurst if not combining your own. If making your own, combine all of the brat ingredients.
- Heat some butter or olive oil in a frying pan, and cook your onions, garlic, and bratwurst.
- When your zucchini is ready to be removed from the water, pull it out, set it on your cutting board, and carefully cut it lengthwise. Then, use a spoon to scoop out the innards to create a dug-out canoe type vessel.
- Dice the zucchini innards, and add them to your bratwurst pan, and finish cooking there.
- When your bratwurst mixture is fully cooked, scoop it into your dug-out zucchini, and place them on your baking sheet.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes to further soften your zucchini.
- Arrange your cheese atop, and continue baking to melt it.
- Plate, devour, and enjoy!