We haven’t made a Savory Pie in a few months, so we were overdue. Add in that it’s beginning to feel like spring as the temperatures warm gradually, and the days get longer…and we decided to make this one with Asparagus! Wanting to go all in on the asparagus flavour, we accentuated only with lemon zest and black pepper…but if you want a more rounded flavour profile, we suggest adding caramelized onions, diced sun-dried tomatoes, and/or even some crispy bacon.
We served our mini pies as an entree with Roasted Cauliflower Wedges. However, the filling would also be great in mini-frozen puff pastry cups and served as an appetizer…especially with a little piece of bacon or goat cheese on top!
Time: 50 Minutes (plus any time needed to make your crust)
- Pie Crust. Either use store bought (we suggest mini pie crusts) or Make your own Short Crust Pie Dough
- Lemon Zest
- Black Pepper
- An Egg
- Any other Veggies you’d like to add. Caramelized diced onion or diced sun-dried tomatoes would likely be very good.
- Prep your Short Crust Pastry Dough if making from scratch.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Snap or cut the woody tough ends off your asparagus, and discard. Then, cut your asparagus into 2 inch strips, and pulse to chop in your food processor.
- Pour your chopped asparagus into a bowl, add in some black pepper, lemon zest, and any other diced veggies you like.
- Crack an egg, beat it, and stir it into your asparagus mixture.
- Grease your pie dish(es), roll your dough, and fit your dough into your pie dish.
- Scoop your asparagus mixture into your pie dough, and bake for about 40 minutes.
- When your crust is golden brown, and your asparagus has begun to brown/char a little on top, you’re good to go!
- Plate, devour and enjoy!