T’was time for another pizza night, and since our sous chef recently introduced us to the concept of square pizza (which is great if you’ve got some people who like crust and some who do not), we decided to think outside the circle. For this particular pie, we noticed a pack of roasted garlic chicken sausage in our freezer, and we decided to go all in on garlic…to the tune of adding 10 cloves of garlic as a topping on our pie! Then, we added some sauteed mushrooms before topping everything off with a glorious layer of cheese!
While we didn’t use it, we think that sliced baby spinach would be a great topping for this pie! Oh, and if you prefer a white pizza, just swap out the marinara sauce for ricotta!
As a little side note, our garlic quantity was a bit aggressive, so if you’re more of a garlic liker or a garlic tolerater than a garlic lover, you’ll want to scale back on the number of cloves.
Time: 40 Minutes (Plus 75 minutes if making your own dough)
- Pizza Dough or Crust…Pre-made, or Make Your Own!
- 8-10 Cloves of Garlic (Perhaps less if that sounds completely overwhelming)
- Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage (precooked)
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Marinara Sauce
- Optional: Red Pepper Flakes
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F, and place your pizza stone (or if making a square pie, a large cookie sheet lined with foil) in the oven.
- Peel and dice your garlic, and set aside.
- Clean your mushrooms, and slice them as well.
- Place a tablespoon of butter in each of two separate pans, and heat to melt.
- When your butter has melted, pour your diced garlic into one and your sliced mushrooms into another.
- Sautee your garlic over low heat until it begins to brown. Then transfer it to a small bowl. Word of caution: They go from perfect to burnt in a short timespan, so keep an eye on them. A little underdone is better than overdone since they will still be baking later.
- Sautee your mushrooms over medium heat until they soften and caramelize a bit as well. Then, transfer them to another bowl.
- As your garlic and mushrooms cook/cool, slice your sausage into thin discs.
- Remove your pizza stone/baking sheet from the oven, spread some cornmeal or flour atop (to prevent sticking), and then spread your dough out into your desired size and shape.
- Spread some marinara sauce over your pizza with a spoon.
- Place your sausage discs and your sliced mushrooms on your saucy dough.
- Sprinkle your crispy garlic evenly over your pizza too.
- Top everything with your cheese, and sprinkle on some red pepper flakes if using.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Slice, plate, devour, and enjoy!