This seemed like a fun way to combine two of our favourite meals: Risotto and Pizza. Rather than put risotto on a pizza crust (and devour a carbobomb), we decided to build classic pizza flavours into our risotto! We opted to keep it simple and go with more of a classic cheese pizza set of ingredients…but then we just couldn’t bring ourselves to do it, and we added in caramelized onions and sauteed spinach. Then, we topped everything off with finely grated mozzarella that melted over the heat of the risotto.
All the above aside, play around with your favourite pizza toppings, and add them in instead of our choices! For example, if we had mushrooms, they would have most assuredly made an appearance…and if we’d thought to use red pepper flakes in time, they would have too. Make it your own!
**As a little addendum, I like to think of this meal as “Spaghetti-Ohs” for a more refined palate!
Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 Cup Arborio Rice
- 5 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 Jar Tomato Sauce (or make your own…we used premade sauce for expediency)
- Pick your own pizza toppings. We used spinach, but pepperoni and/or mushroom would be really good too.
- Garlic Powder
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Begin to bring your veggie stock to a simmer in a sauce pan (preferably one with a pouring lip)
- Dice your onions, melt some butter in a pan, and begin to sautee the onions. Sprinkle in some garlic powder, basil, and oregano, and cook until your onions have caramelized.
- As your onions cook, slice or dice any of your other pizza “toppings.”
- When your onions are ready, add your arborio rice to the pot, stir to combine, and sautee for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in about a cup of your simmering veggie stock, and add your other pizza “toppings” as well.
- Simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed by your rice, and then pour in another cup of stock.
- Repeat until all of your stock has been absorbed, and then pour in your tomato sauce, and stir to combine.
- When everything gets back to a simmer, you’re good to go.
- Plate, top with cheese, devour, and enjoy!